CUSTOM HOMEBUILDING Q & A
- Should I wait for my home to sell before starting to plan for a custom-built home?
- This decision depends on your financial situation. Before breaking ground, we typically require a down payment and assurances that there is enough money available to build the house within the client's budget.
- How long does the custom homebuilding process take?
- A typical build time is 6 to 7 months once the papers have been signed and the down payment has been received. Weather conditions and other factors such as change orders can affect the length of build time.
- How is Walraven Signature Homes different than other custom homebuilders in the area?
- We are a family-owned company. Matt and Danielle Walraven are self-taught in the business, learning by doing. The fact that they are young and energetic drives the personality of the company. Walraven Signature Homes tends to think outside the box, finds creative special touches for their homes, and are open to new ideas and doing things differently to be sure the client is satisfied.
- How can I be sure that I am receiving a fair price?
- Talk to more than one builder when considering buying or building a custom home. Comparison shopping is common. A fair deal is a combination of the amount of features you get for the price plus quality workmanship, customer service and on time completion of the home.
- What changes can I make to my floor plan?
- You will work with owner Matt Walraven to develop a floor plan based on what you want. We do not have cookie cutter floor plans. Once you decide on your floor plan, some changes can be made, but to what extent depends on the stage of construction.
- Does Walraven Signature Homes only build in certain communities?
- No, Walraven Signature Homes builds all over central North Carolina. We are not restricted to building in just one or two communities.
- How am I kept involved during the building process?
- In the concept and design stage of the project you work directly with owner Matt Walraven. Once the plans are finalized, the construction team, led by our project managers, goes to work on the day-to-day building of your house. The project manager assigned to your home works with you to assure a smooth process and positive outcome. Routinely you will work together with us on decisions about flooring, paint colors, appliance choices, lighting, exterior building materials, landscaping, etc. The Walraven Signature Homes team is by your side every step of the way.
- Does Walraven Signature Homes offer custom homes that are already built?
- Yes, certain home buyers cannot or do not want to wait 6 – 7 months to get into their new house. Thus, part of our business model includes building homes for immediate occupancy in some of the area’s most popular communities. Typically, there are several houses available at various price levels that suit this part of the custom home market. Check our Ready to Move-In Homes section on this website for available inventory.
- What are different ways I can save money during the homebuilding process?
- In our experience, customers that have a realistic idea of what they want and can afford before they start to build realize the best outcome related to budgets. You, the client, will be kept up-to-date on where you are on your budget and will approve changes that affect your costs. There are no unpleasant surprises at the end of the process.
- What style of homes does Walraven Signature Homes build?
- What we build depends on what type of home you want us to design and build for you. We don't have a set number of house types or floor plans. We have built homes in the styles of European, Craftsman, Farm, Transitional, and Traditional. We go the extra mile to build the custom home you want.
- Does Walraven Signature Homes use energy efficient building techniques?
- All the homes we build are Energy Star rated homes.
Where we build
We serve the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Kernersville, Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Stokesdale, Burlington, High Point and surrounding areas of North Carolina. We understand location is key when building your new home. We can build within our featured developments or on property you have purchased.